Do you have thoughtful ideas about the future? Are you excited about the intersection of media, technology and design? Have you always wanted to work in a tall building? We’re looking for a Creative Technologist to join our lab and help prototype the future of The New York Times.
The job description is below. To apply, please refer to the job listing and instructions at http://www.nytco.com/careers/Technology/#23944. If you have further questions prior to applying, you can contact us at email@example.com.
The New York Times Research & Development lab is looking for a unique individual to serve as a Creative Technologist, responsible for designing and building prototypes that illustrate the impact of emerging technologies on news, media and information in the coming years. At the R&D Lab, Creative Technologists are self-motivated, imaginative individuals with the ability to synthesize new ideas and emerging technologies into prototypes that clearly articulate potential futures for news and media. Our greatest strength lies in having a diversity of disciplines represented, so whether your area of practice is journalism, design, creative coding, engineering, or product development (or something else!), if you have the ability to generate compelling ideas about the future of media and the tools to prototype them, you might be the right person to join our team.
Members of the lab are responsible for:
- Deeply understanding the New York Times Company’s mission and how this mission can be extended, enriched and supported by new applications and experiences
- Defining, designing and developing prototypes for innovative digital media products and services
- Staying abreast of the evolving media, technology and design landscape including the emergence of new standards, protocols and devices
- Communicating regularly with other departments to understand the current opportunities and challenges within The New York Times as well as to share knowledge and research.
- Stretching the boundaries of our thinking about what media will become in the next 3 to 5 years and how people will use media for news, information and entertainment
- Participating in the development of other lab members’ projects where your skills are required
- Presenting our concepts of the near future to employees, customers, and outside groups
If you want to join our team, you should have:
- Proven experience (3-5 years or more) in a related field. Previous experience with news or news applications is a plus. Commercial applications, interactive installations, and other creative development experience is also welcome.
- Bachelors degree preferred. Masters degree or MFA/PhD is a plus.
- Proven track record of developing creative product concepts and communicating those concepts through the hands-on creation of working prototypes.
- A history of achieving commercial or artistic success from creative technological endeavors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.